Top Five Reasons to Apply to “Clinton’s Ditch”
1. Some of the top scholars on the Erie Canal and the early national period will be assembled in one place and for one purpose: to teach you!
2. Experience the Canal firsthand! You can walk the towpath of the “old” Erie Canal (enlistment as a hoggee is not necessary), and travel by boat through the only set of double locks and a lift bridge (ducking is optional)!
3. While meeting 40 fellow educators from around the country, you will study the Erie Canal through a variety of mediums: folklore, music, art, literature, historic documents, economic data, and more!
4. Contrary to popular conception, Buffalo is an amazing city with a rich history – just ask the NY Times. You will get to sample the best it has to offer (including an impressive food culture)! Plus the summers here are so delightful (I promise you won’t have to shovel snow in July or August).
5. At a time when political debates rage about government’s role in economic development, what could be more relevant than the story of the Erie Canal?